Job Vacancy : General Manager
Location : Mwanza, Tanzania
Position Type : Full Time
Organization Type : Company
Activity : Rural electrification
Application deadline: 16th of December 2015
The Tanzanian jointventure JUMEME RURAL POWER SUPPLY LTD. was established by the partners INENSUS GmbH (Germany), TERRAPROJECTS (Austria) and ST. AUGUSTINE UNIVERSITY OF TANZANIA (Tanzania) as a micro-utility with the aim to implement and operate Solar-Hybrid Mini-Grids in remote settlements in Tanzania providing reliable, affordable and clean electricity to businesses and small industries, households, and public infrastructures.
The first project of JUMEME is co-funded by the European Union under the European Commission ACP-EU Energy Facility and other international donors. By implementing 25+ mini-grids in the north-western regions of Tanzania and providing electricity to 11,000 households, 2,600 agricultural enterprises, businesses and small industries, and 80 public infrastructures (reaching 80,000 rural citizens in total) by 2017, JUMEME aims at becoming one of the largest solar mini-grid operators in Africa.
JUMEME is seeking highly motivated personnel that will help scaling up the business and achieving the company’s goal of providing energy services to 1 million people by 2022.
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the General Manager (GM) will be in charge of developing the company JUMEME towards a profitable and scalable electricity supply business. The team to be managed by the GM will comprise 10 employees in the beginning and is set to grow to approx. 50 in the near future.
Further responsibilities of the GM are:
- Direct and coordinate all activities of the company’s departments Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with board of directors and staff members as necessary
- Manage, orient, train, counsel and discipline staff, preparing work schedules and assigning specific duties.
- Interview, hire and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes.
- Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement.
- Monitor the revenue, expenses and liquidity of the company and develop and execute the budget together with the Head of Finance.
- Build company image by collaborating with customers, government bodies, and employees; enforcing ethical business practices
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; review professional publications; establish personal networks; benchmark state-of-the-art practices; participate in professional societies.
- Monitor the sector specific frameworks with regard to effects on the company’s business model and initiate appropriate adjustment measures if necessary after conferring with board of directors.
- Establish and maintain relationships to industries that can set up production facilities supplied from JUMEME’s mini-grids benefiting the overall profitability of the business and the development of the area
- Master’s degree in economics and/or business administration Minimum of 5 years of experience in business management.
- Excellent multi-tasking, organisational, interpersonal, networking and leadership skills
- Thorough knowledge of the rural electrification sector and related finances.
- Technical background with experience in rural electrification and solar PV technologies
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities in English and Kiswahili
- Proficient with MS Office
- Ability and readiness to work under pressure and in flexible working hours
BENEFITS A Tanzanian employment contract with a competitive compensation package will be offered depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful applicant.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS If you believe your career objectives match this challenging role, please send your application by Wednesday, 16th of December 2015 by E-Mail to
HR-JUMEME@inensus.com. Please attach your cover letter, CV, copies of certificates and qualifications, name at least three referees with their contact details, and indicate your salary expectations and earliest availability.