EDUCATION STUDENTS' LOANS BOARD (HESLB)
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Reporting to this Position: 5 Directors, 4 Head of Units & zonal Office Managers
Contract Tenure: Four (4) years effective 1st September, 2016, with eligibility for re-appointment subject to satisfactory performance
Duty Station:' Dar es Salaam
The Higher Education Students' Loans Board (HESLB) was established under Act No. 9 of 2004, (as amended) with the objective of assisting, on a loan basis, needy Tanzanian students who secure admission in accredited Higher Learning Institutions, but who have no financial ability to pay for the costs of their education.
The achievement of the HESLB in the last 10 years include; introduction of Means Testing System, significant increase of the amount of annual disbursed loans from TZS, 56.1 b in 2005/2006 to TZS 473b in 2015/2016, increased cumulative loan beneficiaries from 42,729 in 2005/2006 to 325,134 in 2014/2015, improved cumulative loan collections from TZS 53M in 2006/2007 to TZS 82.6b in 2014;2015, implementation of end to end computer software that includes Online Loan Application System, Loan Allocation Module, Loan Disbursement Module and Loan Repayment module, and establishment of zonal offices in Dodoma, Zanzibar, Mwanza and Arusha with plans to open other zonal offices in Mbeya and Dar es Salaam.
Currently the HESLB is in the process of being transformed into a fully-fledged Higher Education Financing Institution.
To realize the transformation agenda while providing excellent services, HESLB seeks to recruit a resourceful and strategic leader with strong track record of excellent performance and experience from leading an organization serving multiple stakeholders to fill the position of the Executive Director.
• Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the HESLB, as provided for under the Higher Education Students' Loans Board Act; Act No. 9 of 2004, (as amended).
• S/he provides support to the Board as it carries out its governance functions. S/he serves as Chief Executive of the HESLB and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the success of the HESLB. Together, the Board and Executive Director assures HESLB's relevance to the community, the accomplishment of HESLB's mission and vision, and the accountability of HESLB to its key stakeholders.
JOB KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Legal compliance - assures full compliance with relevant laws and regulations and guides the process of legal reforms in the interest of financing higher education students.
• Strategy, policy and planning -leads the strategy formulation, transformation agenda, operational planning, budgeting and review of policies and processes to ensure efficient and effective delivery of services
• Management and administration - Effectively manages the human resources of the HESLB, manages the day-to-day operations, and assures a smoothly functioning, efficient Board.
• Governance - facilitates the Board of Directors to play its governance fiduciary role, focuses Board attention on long-range strategic issues, and manages the Board's due diligence process to assure timely attention to core business.
• Financing - formulates and drives innovative strategies of generating funds, oversees the fiscal activities of the Board, implements effective loan recovery strategies to ensure sustainability of the Board.
• Public relations and stakeholders expectations management - chief spokesperson of the Board, accountable to all key stakeholders and fosters beneficial relationship with general public to facilitate the integration of the Board into the fabric of the community
• Team leadership and delivery - leads, motivates staff and builds a high performance team with capacity to deliver against set targets.
• Risks identification and their management- identifies risks, leads planning, design and implementation of the overall risk management framework of the Board.
KEY JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum of a Master's degree in any of the following fields: Accounting and Finance, Banking and finance, Economics, Commerce, Engineering, Law or Business Administration. Candidates in other fields with proven excellent track record of managing reputable institutions will also be considered.
• A Professional qualification - CPA (T), ACCA will have an added advantage
• At least eight (8) years' work experience in a senior Leadership position in a reputable institution with a proven track record of producing desired results.
• Excellent computer application skills
• Excellent spoken and written English and Kiswahili
• Entrepreneurial 'can do it spirit with ability to lead business transformation initiatives
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Bias for action, Drive for results and Engaging & Influencing.
• Consistently role model acting according to one's own principles and delivering to organizational values and expectations.
REMUNERATION: Attractive salary and benefits will be offered
HOW TO APPLY
For more information and a full job description visit www.heslb.go.tz Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position through:-
Chairman of Search Committee
CRDB Bank Head Office
Azikiwe Street, Office Accommodation Scheme Bldg (4th Floor)
P.O. Box 268,
Dar es Salaam
By CLOSING DATE: 30th January, 2016
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.