SAVE THE CHILDREN
EXCITING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
Job Title: Driver
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Under the guidance of the GF Logistics officer, the driver will be responsible for managing the transportation of the programme staff for successful implementation of Global activities. H/she will be responsible for transporting staff across Tanzania to implement programs and other official businesses.
SCOPE OF ROLE
Reports to: Logistics officer GF
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Driver must know
• All traffic regulations.
• Preventative maintenance required for the vehicle.
• Basic first aid techniques.
• Actions to be taken in the event of an accident.
• Basic Knowledge on vehicle maintenance and repair
• Be able to fill forms and documents.
Support transport to Save the Children Staffs
• Maintain a valid driving license, registration and valid permits at all the time.
• Providing periodic usage report of vehicle including total mileage, fuel consumption and expenditure.
• Follow and abide by the traffic rules, regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by Driver Supervisor or management.
• Ensure the filling of log book for each travel allocated for the Programme staffs both in local and outstation travel.
• Ensure the staffs are well supported for transport from office to the field office.
• Handle transport of all staff, visitor and equipment/materials.
• Maintain vehicles including fuel, lubrication, and oil, interior and exterior.
• Prepare mileage and fuel consumption.
• Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
• Maintain vehicle first aid box, communication equipment and fire extinguisher and protect the vehicle while at outside office premises.
• Help in loading and unloading of official materials
• Work after duty hours or on holidays as and when required as per program needs and supervisor instructions.
• Ready for extensive field visits during odd days and time.
• Reporting is an essential part of the position’s job description, including fuel consumptions, vehicle maintenance and vehicle repair.
• Reporting shall be made to the Logistic Officer and health programme manager and sharing lessons learned as per donors and SC requirements.
• Completion of all reporting requirements in line with Save the Children requirements
• The Driver may be responsible for additional tasks and duties as and when required to support the overall Country Programme priorities.
• The post holder is required to comply with SCI policy and practice requirements with respect to health and safety, child protection, child safeguarding, equal opportunities, anti-fraud and corruption policy, and other relevant policies and procedures.
• The post holder will be responsible to fulfill any other duty assigned by the Supervisor.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
• Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
• Holds the broader team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
• Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and take responsibility for their own personal development
• Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
• Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, managers, members and external partners and supporters
• Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks
• Honest, encourages openness and transparency
• Commitment to Save the Children values
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Form Four graduate or higher education is desirable
• Holder of a PSV Certificate from the National Institute of Transport (NIT)
• At least three years’ experience of successful driving both in towns and up country
• Significant experience working as a driver with an international non-governmental organization, donors and government bodies for health programmes.
• Have valid driving license, registration and valid permits at all the time.
• Understanding and commitment to principles of child rights and child protection.
• Commitment to and understanding of SCI’s aims, values and principles.
• Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Contract - Full-Time
Closing date: Thursday 31 March 2016
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified
How to Apply
Please read the full details of the position at: http://tanzania.savethechildren.net/jobs and apply as instructed. Only submit cover letter and recent curriculum vitae in a single file. Do not attach any certificate at this stage, applications with certificates attachment shall not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Source: The Guardian 22nd March, 2016