HEAD OF NATIONAL INFLUENCING
Source The Guardian,28th April 2016
Head of National Influencing
Dar es Salaam
Fixed Term (3 Years)
Oxfam in Tanzania (OiTZ) is renowned for its ability to help people in communities in very tangible ways: improving food security and livelihoods, reducing gender-based violence, increasing women's economic and political participation; and working with pastoralist communities
To achieve this, OXFAM in Tanzania is seeks to recruit suitably qualified candidate to fill this exciting new position: Head of National Influencing. This role will lead a team of advocacy, campaigns, communications and research staff. Head of National Influencing will be member of the Country Management Team (CMT)
Purpose of the Role
To develop and implement a clear strategy for the transformation of programming for increased influencing, supporting teams to transform their programme and resourcing strategies, partnerships and ways of working to extend and amplify programme outcomes and in so doing, increase the impact of the OiTZ country programme.
Roles and Responsibilities;
- In line with the vision for the country, guide and support the CMT to develop influencing programmes that complement the programme strategy and ambition.
- Identify and coordinate support for the translation of the OCSs into effective influencing programme designs and proposals
- Support the CMT to develop appropriate ways of working that will ensure that they are externally focused and tuned to developments within their context ensuring the development of appropriate behaviours for influencing.-
- Provide guidance to the country team on good practice around power analysis, evidence based advocacy, public campaigning, effective messaging, risk assessment and ensuring the creation of clear and accessible tools and resources for teams to maximize their program impact through WIN.
- In collaboration with the global Digital WIN team, explore the use of digital technology in our campaigning to scale up programme ambitions in this area.
- Support the programme to develop effective networks, partnerships with multiple stakeholders for the effective delivery of campaign goals ensuring linkages at regional and global level.
- Provide high level technical advice and support to managers on all policy issues and facilitate the development of quality policy papers.
- Support the CMT to identify critical influencing capacity gaps among the country staff and partners and develop a plan of action to support the development of such capacities
- Explore opportunities for regional engagement/programmes that adds value to the achievement of the country programme goals.
- Promote the integration of women's rights into national influencing strategies.
Skills and Competencies
To be successful in this role, we need someone with
- In-depth understanding of the economic, political and social causes and dynamics of poverty and a familiarity with policy issues related to the creation or reduction of poverty in Tanzania and globally
- Proven experience of leading and/or supporting others to design and deliver advocacy and campaigns, programme and research and policy work
- In-depth experience of leading or working with team(s) to enhance influencing capacity and impact
- Understanding of, and commitment to Oxfam's 'one programme approach' (linking humanitarian, development & advocacy work)
- Experience of mainstreaming gender into development, advocacy & campaigns or humanitarian work
- Excellent inter-personal and collaboration skills, particularly in cross-cultural contexts
- Very strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand highly complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, with experience of external representation strategies, lobbying, advocacy and campaigning
HEAD OF PROGRAMME QUALITY
Source The Guardian,28th April 2016
Head of Programme Quality
Number of Posts: 1
Grade & Level: C1
Location: Dar es Salaam
Contract Type: Fixed Term (3 Years)
Who we are
Oxfam in Tanzania (OiTZ) is renowned for its ability to help people in communities in very tangible ways: improving food security and livelihoods, reducing gender-based violence, increasing women’s economic and political participation; and working with pastoralist communities
To achieve this, OXFAM in Tanzania is seeks to recruit suitable qualified Candidate to fill the following exciting new position Head of Programme Quality. This role will lead a team of staff working to ensure OiTZ programmes are high quality, create impact, and ensure accountability to those we work with, our donors and supporters. Head of Programme Quality will be member of the Country Management Team (CMT)
- To develop and implement a clear strategy for the transformation of programming for increased influencing, supporting teams to transform their programme and resourcing strategies, partnerships and ways of working to extend and amplify programme outcomes and in so doing, increase the impact and accountability of the OiTZ country programme
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with Country Management Team (CMT) members to shape and embed the country vision and leadership on programme quality and implementing CAMSA
- Lead and coordinate CMT strategic thinking in the areas of MEAL and partnership management in relation to programme quality
- Work with CMT to develop strong plans for improving country programme quality within in alignment with Oxfam Vision 2020
- Work with colleagues across the country programme to embed programme quality in Oxfam’s ways of working in Tanzania
- Contribute to developing stronger collaboration (country, regional and global) with other Oxfam affiliates in the area of programme quality
- Maintain active, supportive and coordinated communication with MEAL colleagues in the regions and globally
- Work closely with HR to strengthen how programme quality is embedded country roles and HR systems (JD, APO, APR, recruitment and induction processes)
- Support the CMT to identify, and recruit for the required quality team skills
Identify, recruit and induct programme quality staff with a strong focus on attracting, retaining and promoting national staff
- Coordinate the actions of, and provide support, regular management and mentoring/coaching for country programme quality team members and identified quality allies in the organisation
- Develop, share and promote resources including material and training to improve programme quality across OiTZ
- Manage Program Quality Manager and Donor Contracts Manager so that they can provide effective support to country teams
- Support OiTZ teams to identify and plan for appropriate resources to support programme quality improvement
- Provide technical support to the country team as per agreed priorities with strong focus on strategic planning partnership management and gender
- Work with HQ, regional and country colleagues across Oxfam to ensure programme quality is appropriately addressed in country processes
- Proactively engage with and influence the development, roll out and implementation of OI quality systems, strategies, initiatives and policies
- Proactively exchange with other Programme Quality staff in countries, affiliates and OI
- Identify and promote country and Oxfam affiliates’ good practises
Skills and Competencies
- To be successful in this role, we need someone with;
- Demonstrable organisational and project management skills (including budget management) and an ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines
- Good organisational skills including accuracy, consistency, attention to detail, tenacity and the ability to work under pressure
- Proven ability to lead and facilitate Country Strategy and programme development including Theories of Change
- Proven experience in supporting partnership management, strategic thinking and quality implementation
- Understanding of, and commitment to Oxfam’s ‘one programme approach’ (linking humanitarian, development & advocacy work)
- Practical experience of mainstreaming gender in programme quality components related to development, advocacy & campaigns or humanitarian work
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with demonstrable ability to lead, influence and motivate others in a diversity of contexts and functions
- Strong self-awareness, as well as strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent communications, facilitation and team building skills