Job Title:National Project Officer (UNESCO-XPRIZE Project)
12 months (renewable based on satisfactory performance)
Dar es Salaam - United Republic of Tanzania
The UNESCO Office in Dar es Salaam is the implementing partner for the UNESCO-XPRIZE Project on “Promotion of Early Learning through Innovative Technologies in Tanzania’’. The project aims at
contributing to improved learning of children in early primary education years by promoting self-learning through the use of innovative applications in tablets.
The National Project Officer position is one that requires a broad-based network of contacts on the ground in government, the private sector, UN agencies, and NGOs. This person will have worked in Tanzania for a number of years, preferably be a national of Tanzania, and will be experienced in helping develop and manage technology projects. In addition, this person will be well equipped to interface with Ministries of Communications, Technology, Education, and Finance on a regular basis, as well as UN agencies, and will already have pre-existing contacts within each of the above-mentioned ministries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office and in close coordination with the XPRIZE Team, the National Project Officer shall;
- Be responsible for the overall implementation of the project including monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the project by preparing progress and financial reports;
- Managing a large-scale technology projects in Tanzania
- Interfacing with government officials, UN Agencies and NGOs
- Work directly with beneficiaries in the field
- Navigate Tanzania with a thorough knowledge of it including remote areas where the Prize will be administered
- Utilize a developed network of contacts in host country that can be called upon for support/advice
- Assist in trouble shooting
- Manage technical staff and interact effectively with virtual team members for results
- Perform any other task assigned by the Head of Office
- Ability to be a team player; strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage complex programs and to multi-task; capable of working in a highly pressurized environment with tight deadlines, and managing many tasks simultaneously.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; great attention to detail and proven ability to produce high-quality work
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural environment; promote a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Results oriented: Uses initiative to deliver required outputs and planned results in accordance with time and budget targets; analyses complex problems systematically and efficiently.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Msc in Education Management, ICT in Education or Social Science or bachelor’s degree accompanied by extensive experience in the field of Education Management, ICT in Education
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in ICT in Education
- Experience in working with Ministry of Education and Vocational Training (MoEVT) and development partners working on teachers’ issues, particularly on ICT
- Demonstrated ability to review ICT related reports
- Demonstrated ability in writing high quality reports, and making presentations to diverse audiences.
- As the nature of work requires travelling to field sites, willingness to travel is essential.
Language: Excellent spoken and written English; knowledge of Kiswahili is an advantage.
How to apply
Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements should submit a motivation letter together with an
updated and detailed Curriculum Vitae via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver in
sealed envelope marked
“National Project Officer - UNESCO-XPRIZE Project’’ to: The Head and
Representative, UNESCO Dar es Salaam Office, Plot 59 Mtwara Street, Oysterbay, Dar es Salaam,
Tanzania no later than 30 April 2016.