Thursday, 30 June 2016
Estates Manager at British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Estates
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The Estates Manager is a very important role in the effective management of the British High Commission office and the residences it uses to accommodate UK based staff. It is important that the postholder provides strong leadership to the Estates Officer and the maintenance team, and equally strong support to the Corporate Services Manager in the management of the estate and in accounting for expenditure incurred in its running.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Ensure housing is provided on arrival, prepared to a good standard and fully equipped, and in line with the FCO local housing policy; disseminate the policy to staff before they arrive and respond
- Manage leases of HMG properties and renewing at appropriate times.
- Proactive and reactive maintenance and building works (and associated contract management)
- Support on Health and Safety issues (including building standards, work station assessments and fire wardens); ensure security company has up-to-date names of residents of properties and their contact numbers; ensure Residents have emergency numbers for security company and medical facilities, as well as key CSU personnel; organise regular testing of water supplies to residences and the office
- Reviewing state of furniture and housing packs
- Provide help desk assistance for works requests
- Prompting and reviewing instant feedback from customers of the estates/maintenance service
- Provision of evidence for KPIs in the first week of the month
- Completion and maintenance of Supplier authorisation forms and Distribution Sets for estates matters
Procurement and finance
- Advice on supplier selection, service level agreements and management.
- Approval of requisitions within approved limits
- Use of GPC for procurement under £1500 in value, and of the local debit card
- Work with Procurement team on Estate contracts above £25,000
- Preparation of requisitions for goods and services under £25,000 in value
Essential qualifications and experience
Experience and knowledge of Estates and facilities Management,
Budgeting and Contract Management
Experience in leading and managing a team and working across cultures
Computer skills (particularly Word and Excel),
Driving skills with a valid licence (applicants may be tested by BHC staff as part of the selection process)
Fluent in Kiswahili and English
Desirable qualifications and experience
Technical awareness and skills would be helpful, but more important is the ability to be well organised and to communicate well to UK based and local staff colleagues, and also to service providers.
Good knowledge and familarity with UK building and UK suppliers as it relates to furnishings and fittings of Estates
Awareness of Health and Safety, though training can be provided if necessary.
Making Effective Decisions, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline: 8 July 2016
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Permanent
Country/Territory: United Republic of Tanzania
Location (City):Dar Es Salaam
Type of Post: British High Commission
Starting monthly salary () TZS 2,674,674
Start Date: 1 August 2016
All applicants must be legally able to work in Tanzania with the correct visa/status or work permit.
Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Dar es Salaam are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Tanzania’s employment law.
Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
Online Application, Click HERE to Apply
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.