(Ref No: DDG-R4D/PDF/FST/06/16)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the
internationally recruited position of Postdoctoral Fellow, Food Science and Technology.
IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and
poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA seeks a highly qualified and experienced Food Technologist for the position of a Postdoctoral
Fellow for the Africa RISING East and Southern Africa Project.
- Introduce, validate, disseminate and promote improved postharvest technology options for prevention of postharvest food loss.
- Participate in fundamental Food Science research in collaboration with Africa RISING (AR) partners in East and Southern Africa.
- Provide support to the training of farmers and students.
- Assist in the establishment of postharvest related field experiments and data collection.
- Provide technical assistance to the laboratory analysis of foods and other samples.
- Compile all required data and carryout data analysis.
- Write research and project reports for submission to the donor.
- Provide technical support to the operation of the existing Food Processing and Training Centers.
- Provide technical assistance to the establishment and operation of micro-processing and market centers, including marketing strategies (pricing, packaging, collecting, etc).
- Write research articles for publication in Thomson listed journals of high impact factor.
- Develop and implement postharvest management strategies that promote adoption of new crop varieties in Africa RISING project sites.
- Carryout any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate should have a PhD in Food Science and Technology and significant experience in
postharvest loss prevention, processing and value chain development.
- Good knowledge of Food Science and Technology and value chains for grains and legumes is desired.
- Experience in postharvest handling, storage and processing of African staple food crops.
- Demonstrated success in product development research to expand market for staple food crops
- Demonstrated success in working with farmers and the private sector on storage and agro-processing of staple food crops in Africa.
- Experience working with African national agriculture research intuitions including working with multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional teams in a cross-cultural environment.
- Experience with capacity building and training of farmers on improved food processing techniques.
- Proven skills in report writing and research publication in Thomson listed journals.
- Excellent ability to transfer knowledge to students.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent social skills, a collaborative style, team building, proactive and innovative attitudes.
- Capacity for planning and organizing field activities and other project events as well as analyzing and resolving problems.
- Willingness to travel extensively within Tanzania and occasionally travel to other Africa RISING countries to support postharvest management activities
General information: The contract will be for an initial period of two years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Duty station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Applications: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s
background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please
complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found..