PowerGen Renewable Energy
Position: Site Surveyor, Micro-Grids
Location: Arusha, Tanzania (with travel throughout Tanzania at least 75% of the time)
Start Date: Immediately
PowerGen Renewable Energy is a fast-growing renewable energy company based in Nairobi. Founded in 2011,
the company has installed 100+ renewable energy systems, including 24 micro-grids and connected 600+ homes
and businesses in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Somalia, and South Sudan. We uniquely combine our
mission – to provide access to energy across all of Africa – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an
innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC micro-grids to bring power to residential and
commercial customers in a for-profit manner. With 35 employees, an 11,000 sq. ft. workshop and headquarters
in Nairobi, PowerGen is building a local company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for
years to come.
Job Description and Responsibilities
As a Site Surveyor you will be a member of the PowerGen Grid team, focusing on supporting our East African customers who use electricity from our micro-grids each day. You will be with our customers from the beginning, out in the field sourcing sites, completing surveys, and registering customers during installation, through handling any issues on site that may arise once a grid is operational.
A more complete – but by no means exhaustive – list of responsibilities is provided below:
- Assist the Site Associate with:
- Liaising with government officials to obtain all necessary permits, letters of introduction, and licenses from regional and district offices needed to conduct work at current or prospective microgrid sites
- Completing site surveying trips to identify potential micro-grid sites
- Completing customer application trips to find potential customers and other information needed for micro-grid installations
- Communicating effectively with village elders and councils to explain the micro-grid concept,obtain land lease agreements, and ensure positive community relationships for micro-grid sites
- Educating and registering micro-grid customers during micro-grid installations
- Managing all expenses and document all necessary information while in the field in an organized and efficient manner, following existing company systems and policies.
- Helping to coordinate logistics for field work, including transport, accommodation, and planning routes before embarking on any trips to the field.
- Efficient management of materials and tools required for your work, including electronics such as GPS devices and tablets used for field work.
- Maintaining close communication with the Micro-Grid Manager throughout any and all field work
- Providing post-installation customer service to micro-grid customers. Travelling throughout Tanzania at least 75% of the time will be required in this position and candidates should be interested in such extensive field work Other tasks and responsibilities may be asked of you – we are looking for a dynamic individual who is willing to help out wherever is needed in a fast-paced growing company.
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree
- Tanzanian citizen or valid Tanzanian work permit
- Experience in sales & marketing a plus
- Field work experience highly preferred
- Fluent in Kiswahili and English, both in written and oral communications
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Intelligent and eager to learn
- Organization and attention to detail
- Hardworking and honest
- Enthusiasm in working for the field of renewable energy
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Flexible and eager to lend a hand wherever needed, even if a specific task may fall outside the core job description
Benefits and Compensation
Competitive and commensurate with experience
Please send resume, cover letter, and any questions to email@example.com.
More can be learned about PowerGen at www.powergen-re.com.