Source the Guardian
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Position: Information Technology Assistant
Grade level: G4
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
Duration: Fixed term
The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) representation in the United Republic of Tanzania (the Representation) is seeking for a qualified person for the post of Information Technology Assistant
The Information Technology Assistant provides a large variety of standard Information Technology (IT) support services that contribute to the smooth and effective running of the IT equipment, systems and software applications of the FAO Representation in line with established IT procedures and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
Supervision Received/Exercised The Information Technology Assistant reports to a Senior Professional staff member and follows technical standards and procedures established by the IT Division. He / she acts independently in routine matters, in line with established policies and procedures. Supervision received is focused on the FAO Representation's IT priorities, in particular the meeting of timelines and the quality of support given to clients, and ensures learning opportunities.
The incumbent has frequent interaction with staff at all levels within the Representation to resolve routine IT-related problems and coordinate IT service delivery. He /she works closely with the IT Division to ensure problem resolution and service delivery.
Key Functions Results
- Receive and log all requests from users relating to IT services in the Service Desk System;
- Provide 1st level support (for received calls from users and solve technical issues if technically able to do so, coordinating responses to/from 2nd level teams and generally managing the users' requests for support in all areas of IT. Examples of activities performed at 1 st level are: basic trouble-shooting providing information relating to hardware and software models, and existing policies and procedures, basic account management functions, data transfers, drafting of technical documentation and process flows) and 2nd level support (builds on Level 1 activities and provides support for incidents or service requests of moderate complexity such as: recommending acquisition of hardware, software, devices, tools; complex software and hardware troubleshooting; maintaining inventories; desktop and laptop deployment and -configuration; simple user account administration; website development and updates; configuration and testing of hardware and software; assistance in testing and evaluation of new products and technologies; information systems monitoring arid support; and, maintaining information systems such as databases.); to resolve IT-related issues pertaining to FAO standard equipment; escalate those issues that cannot be solved to more.
- Deploy and configure standard desktops and laptops in line with established policies and procedures; assist in implementing procedures for data backups;
- Ensure user access to the Representation's IT infrastructure: set up network services according to established policies and procedures (e.g. e-mail accounts and user access profiles, file share security); manage the Representation's shared drives and public e-mail folders;
- Operate and troubleshoot a variety of office equipment, such as personal computers, printers, photocopiers, PDAs and smartphones, and maintain IT stationery supplies;
- Provide user guidance and training on IT services and contribute to the IT knowledge base;
- Manage the Representation's pool of IT equipment and local stock of IT supplies and materials: maintain the , inventory and assets in the Service Desk System and Global Resources Management System (GRMS) fixed assets; ensure that software licenses are legally acquired and formally recorded;
- Provide hands-on assistance to users in organizing presentations and setting up audio-visual equipment;
- Assist in the planning and procurement of IT-equipment and software, based on established equipment cycle processes: provide specifications for the purchase of hardware, software and peripherals and users in the preparation of IT-related Purchase Orders and LO's, technically clearing Purchase Requisition LVO's and LO's in Oracle for hardware, software and peripherals; liaise with the IT Division for clearance non-standard equipment and software;
Impact of work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of the division's/ department's work output Actions reflect on the effective provision of the Organization's IT Service.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS- candidates will be assessed against the following:
Education: Secondary School Education
Work Experience and Knowledge: Three years of relevant experience in IT support work,
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English, French or Spanish
IT Skills: Very good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
Process separation clearance as per established
Building Effective Relationships
Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Good understanding of the IT infrastructure
Good knowledge of IT governance policies and procedures
Good problem solving skills related to IT issues
Candidates should complete the FAO Personal Profile Form (PPF) accessible at:
Applications should be sent with a detailed CV and Personal Profile Form (PPF) to:
SIDA H, Ada Estate
Ali Hassan Mwinyi Road-Opposite DSTV Office
P. O. Box 2 Dar es Salaam
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.