Danish Refugee Council - Tanzania
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a humanitarian actor in Tanzania. As part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC implements programs in the sectors of camp management, community-based protection and shelter/ small infrastructure.
In order to fulfill DRCs staffing needs for new operations in Tanzania, we are opening the following position for a Tanzanian national, based in Kibondo (Nduta/Mtendeli camps).
The Protection Assistants will be responsible for managing the implementation of protection activities in close conjunction with the Community Services team under the supervision of the Protection Manager.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position:
- Carry out daily monitoring visits, focus group discussions, participatory assessments, key informant interviews according DRC’s information collection and management plan, ensuring appropriate treatment of sensitive information;
- Assess individual protection issues emerging and make appropriate referrals for services to UNHCR or other actors;
- Identify cases in need of urgent response and directly follow-up/accompany refugees to services providers when needed to ensure access to services;
- Support in the resolving of family/neighbor conflict where community mediation mechanisms are not sufficient
- Work with supervisor to create weekly work-plans and prioritization of tasks;
- Ensure targets are met under DRC’s agreement with donors, in order to be accountable to the stated goals of the programme;
- Ensure proper documentation and secure storage of any protection data collected (hard and soft copies);
- Complete daily reporting on findings.
- Foster and maintain excellent working relationships with all stake-holders, and participate in daily coordination with UNHCR and all other local and international actors;
- Provide trainings and on-job coaching to community-based protection network on protection principles, mediation etc.
- Work with community-based structures to identify protection problems that cannot be resolved at community level or by existing services and assist community to come to solutions
- Liaise closely with DRC’s community services team and other partners to ensure an understanding of the overall issues and create analyses to be shared with all partners
- Ensure daily reports are filled in and assist in compiling weekly reports on major findings, needs and challenges faced;
- Propose new activities according to identified needs and suggest solutions for problems encountered within prevention activities.
- Graduated from post-secondary programme, preferably in the social sciences such as social work, psychology, law or similar;
- 1 year relevant work experience;
- Ability and commitment to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety of refugee/client at all times;
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility;
- Flexibility in working hours when needed;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well ability to engage with community members in an open manner, maintain confidentiality and respect;
Ability to communicate in English and write reports in English.
• Previous experience in international organizations and humanitarian settings
• Previous experience working with refugees or IDPs or other vulnerable populations;
• Degree in Social work, psychology, political science, development, law or other related fields;
• Kirundi/Kiha and French language ability;
• University degree.
Terms of Employment:
Salary and conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for National Staff in Tanzania and based on UNHCR Tanzania’s salary scale for IP National Staff.
Duration of employment: 3 months with possible extension based on performance and funding availability. Location: Kibondo (Nduta/Mtendeli camps), Tanzania.
Interested candidates should submit their application including cover letter and updated CV in English addressed to the DRC Kibondo Office at the reception gate in the JKT Recreational Centre in Kibondo or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis before the deadline, and interviews will be held as suitable candidates present themselves.
Deadline for applications is 05 22 SEPTEMBERJuly 201622nd of October, 2015.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply irrespective of origin, gender or age.
For further information about Danish Refugee Council, please go to www.drc.dk.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.