EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES.TITLE: RESEARCH OFFICER – MEDICAL DOCTOR - (4 POSTS)
REPORTING: Project Investigator / Project Leader
LOCATION: Dar-Es Salaam, Tanzania
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a Tanzania based non-governmental Institute with a mission of
developing and sustaining Health Research and Resource Institute capable of generating new
knowledge and relevant information for public health policy and action. IHI is one of the leading
research outfits in Africa maintaining collaboration with several other research Institutes in the world.
Every Newborn Action Plan (ENAP) metrics facility based testing study is a project that will be
implemented at Muhimbili National Hospital and Temeke Regional referral Hospital in Tanzania. The
overall aim of the facility based testing study is to validate a proposed set of coverage indicators on
care for mothers and newborns at and around the time of birth.
During the formative phase, the study will incorporate essential components of conducting health
facility assessment (HFA), data flow assessment (DFA), qualitative data collection and training of
observers in both of the sites of the research.
Ifakara health Institute is looking for ambitious junior medical doctors to collect data during the
formative phase in mid-September 2016.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• To collect data at Muhimbili National Hospital and Temeke Regional referral Hospital according
to study protocol.
• To ensure all study related forms are properly and accurately filled and data is entered daily
according to the standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• To provide expertise in clinical research activities to ensure protection, rights, safety and wellbeing
of the patients/study participants.
• To ensure the study is done according to the research ethical Guidelines.
• To ensure that participant's privacy and confidentiality are maintained.
• Communicate with other study staff regularly at scheduled meetings and active participation in
• To ensure the availability and safety of necessary equipment for data collection.
• Maintain appropriate working relationships between the hospital staff and other key unity within
Muhimbili National Hospital, Temeke Hospital and IHI at large.
• Retain high level of public and community support and trust e.g. in relation to research ethics
and effective communication.
• Respond to queries, concerns and issues raised by the supervisor/principal investigator
• Participate and contribute in project report writing
• Undertake any other tasks that the PI /project leader shall reasonably require from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE.
• Holder of Degree in Clinical Medicine/ Advanced Diploma in Clinical medicine from recognized
• Must have successful completed one year Internship programme and registered with the
Medical Council of Tanganyika, recent graduates are highly encouraged.
• Prior experience in clinical research will be an added advantage.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to work successfully in a team.
• Sensitivity to the economic, cultural and political issues that affects research activities in a
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and yet maintain team work
• Fluent in both Swahili and English.
REMUNERATION AND MODE OF EMPLOYMENT
• An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates
as per IHI scales.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
Candidates meeting the above job requirements should send their applications with detailed
curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact address, e-mail, telephone numbers, names of three referees
with their addresses & contacts; also, photocopies of academic and professional certificates with an
E-MAIL HEADING ‘’APPLICATION FOR RESEARCH OFFICER-MEDICAL DOCTOR / NURSE
MIDWIFE / DATA MANAGER’’ to the following address:
Chief Human Resources Officer
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
Dar es Salaam.
E mail: email@example.com
The dead line for submission of application is 09th September 2016.Only successful candidates will
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.