TWESA is a Tanzanian NGO that was formed in 1997 to relieve suffering of disaster victims in emergencies and of poor communities in needy areas, through development and implementation of improved and protected water supply, environmental sanitation and hygiene.
TWESA implements water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services and facilities in the Kagera and Kigoma regions of Tanzania, including in the Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli refugee camps.
All TWESA employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: accountability, impartiality, compassion, non-discrimination and excellence. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships. TWESA is an equal opportunity employer – women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Roles and responsibilities
The Physical Planner will be based at the Nyarugusu Refugee Camp in Kasulu district, in the Kigoma region and be directly responsible to the TWESA Camp Manager. The Physical Planner will be responsible for managing TWESA’s shelter planning and construction projects in Nyarugusu and Kasulu.
The responsibilities of the Physical Planner will include the following:
- Develop site plans and technical drawings for shelter construction with consideration to the available resources and overall needs, cultural preferences and concerns of the local communities
- Provide shelter and settlement support to ensure technical integrity
- Advise Team Leader/Camp Manager on all matters related to shelter and settlement
- Oversee site planning issues in Nyarugusu Camp including plot demarcation
- Review settlement sites and facilities in close coordination with the UNHCR, relevant implementing and operating partners and local authorities
- Perform physical planning for Nyarugusu Camp, with regard to the location of different villages, clusters and blocks, as well as the organisation of households at village level and their proximity to basic services like water, health, education, registration centers, youth centers, reception centers etc
- Review the road networks, offices and other existing infrastructure in the relevant settlement
- Review existing refugee shelter and sanitation facilities and identify gaps
- Update the available maps of settlements using relevant mapping features, with reference to the existing maps and settlement boundaries
- Map the occupied space in the clusters/settlements as well as the available contingency space
- Plan and supervise the maintenance and upgrading of family shelters in order to improve standards
- Work in close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders including local authorities, implementing partners and affected communities on issues related to sustainability of the shelter and settlement program
- Oversee all matters related to construction activities within the settlement among different sectors such as water, sanitation, health, education facilities, etc.
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation of site planning and shelter activities, provide input for situation reports and report back to the field office on progress and standards
- Manage all land use disputes in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs
Required Academic Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or Urban and Regional Planning
Desired Professional Competencies
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a relevant field, including collaboration with humanitarian organisations and government technical departments
- Experience in identifying, designing, delimiting, clearing and developing land
- Knowledge of UNHCR standards and criteria for site selection, including consideration of cross sectorial issues related to protection, WASH, land property issues etc., is an added advantage
- Experience in construction management including supervision, monitoring and quality control
- Good computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in MS Office, AUTOCAD and other relevant software to produce digital maps, site plans, layout and technical drawings, as well as internet and email. Knowledge of ARC VIEW is an added advantage
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili, both written and verbal
Desired Personal Competencies
- Sensitive to cultural differences and able to work with a diverse range of people
- Good team member, but also able to work independently
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent time management and able to work to tight deadlines
- Able to work and solve problems with creativity and initiative
- Willingness and ability to work in hardship environments
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
Salary range: Between 800,000 - 1,000,000 TSh, depending on available funding
Applications are accepted from Tanzanian citizens only. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who do not include both documents will not be considered. Applications may also be delivered in hard copy to the TWESA office in Dar es Salaam or Kasulu.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please mention the position "Physical Planner Kasulu" in your email subject.
Applications must be received by 17:00 on Sunday 11th September 2016.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.