Position: Hygiene Coordinator
Location: Nyarugusu Refugee Camp, Kasulu district, Kigoma region
Duration: Full-time position with contract beginning start of October until 31st December 2016. Renewal dependent on performance
Application deadline: 17:00hrs on Tuesday 27th September 2016
TWESA is a Tanzanian NGO that was formed in 1997 to relieve suffering of disaster victims in emergencies and of poor communities in needy areas, through development and implementation of improved and protected water supply, environmental sanitation and hygiene.
TWESA implements water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services and facilities in the Kagera and Kigoma regions of Tanzania, including in the Nyarugusu, Nduta and Mtendeli refugees camps.
All TWESA employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: accountability, impartiality, compassion, non-discrimination and excellence. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships. TWESA is an equal opportunity employer – women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Roles and responsibilities
The Hygiene Coordinator will be based in Nyarugusu Refugee Camp and will be directly responsible to the Sanitation Manager. The Hygiene Coordinator will be responsible for TWESA’s hygiene activities, especially menstrual hygiene management, in the refugee camp and surrounding communities.
The responsibilities of the Hygiene Coordinator will include the following:
- Implementation and management of all hygiene projects and ensuring compliance with project objectives, timelines, budgets and donor standards
- Mobilise communities to ensure full participation in planning, implementation, operation and maintenance of water, sanitation and hygiene facilities and activities undertaken by TWESA in Nyarugusu
- Manage and monitor implementation of all menstrual hygiene management activities.
- Enhance the involvement of women in water, sanitation and hygiene activities.
- Educate women on their rights and responsibilities in communities in regards to water, sanitation and hygiene
- Disseminate information to the refugee communities on good sanitation, health and hygiene practices through meetings, household visits and theatre plays.
- Identify and analyse health, sanitation and hygiene challenges in the community through data collection, observation and discussions, and propose possible solutions.
- Advocate for greater support for hygiene activities in the refugee camp, especially for menstrual hygiene management.
- Provide regular reports to the Sanitation Manager and contribute information for donor reports and development of funding proposals
- Ensure all hygiene work is properly documented
- Build the capacity of the sanitation and hygiene staff, through initiation of training and other capacity building opportunities
- Ensure positive and clear communication on project targets, objectives and timelines with team members, donors and other partners
- Supervise the hygiene promoters and monitor staff performance.
- Perform other assigned duties as required and directed by the Sanitation Manager
Required academic qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor degree in Public Health, Environmental Studies, Community Development or similar field
- A qualification related to WASH, entrepreneurship or social work is a plus
Desired professional competencies
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in sanitation and hygiene, especially in a NGO or humanitarian context
- Good computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, email and internet
- Good knowledge of PHAST, CLTS-H and SLTS-H
- Experience with menstrual hygiene management and gender issues
- Experience in business development, entrepreneurship or livelihoods
- Previous leadership experience, with the ability to provide others with clear direction and support
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Swahili
Desired personal competencies
- Sensitive to cultural differences and able to work with a wide range of people
- Able to engage positively with beneficiaries, donors and partners
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to show initiative and think strategically
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
How to Apply
Applications are accepted from Tanzanian citizens only. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention the position "Hygiene Coordinator" in your email subject.
Applications must be received by 17:00 on Tuesday 27th September 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call +255 222 460 301