THPS is an indigenous NGO established under nongovernmental organization act No 24 of 2002 as part of partnership framework implementation plan between the USG and the Government of Tanzania which calls for an uninterrupted transition of PEPFAR funded HIV and AIDS programs into local entities. THPS works in partnership with the Ministries of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children and Regional Administration and local government (PMORALG) with a goal of ensuring accessible high quality health care services to Tanzania's through establishment and strengthening of comprehensive family focused HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment services in Pwani, & Kigoma regions and Zanzibar. This is a continuation of the PEPFAR funded broader US Government HIV/AIDS initiatives through Centre for Disease Control Tanzania (CDC) in Tanzania.
As CDC prime awardee; THPS is currently seeking committed and motivated Tanzanians to fill in the following position.
Position title: Senior Technical Advisor - Laboratory Services
Reports to:Technical Director
Duty Station: Central Office Dar es Salaam (with frequent field travel)
Job Summary: The Senior Technical Advisor – Laboratory Services is the overall lead for laboratory systems within THPS laboratory portfolio. The position provides technical and management guidance and leads laboratory related activities essential for implementation of HIV programs in the THPS supported regions. In addition the position will lead laboratory management and supply chain management related scope of work for supporting laboratory functions. To provide supervision and coordination of the THPS laboratory team and state of the art technical support in the planning and implementation of high quality laboratory services required for HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment services within health facilities supported by THPS in collaboration with the Tanzania Ministry of Health Community Development Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC). To generate research agenda in connection with laboratory support services and increase capacity of laboratory data utilization to improve services.
- To lead the planning and implementation of laboratory activities required for THPS supported HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programs including baseline assessment and laboratory capacity development at sites supported by THPS.
- To provide technical assistance to THPS laboratory team as well as national support, including regular and systematic mentorship, observation of testing procedures and joint site level supportive supervision and instruction.
- To oversee routine workflows; developing/refining SOPs, job aids, log books, and referral forms as needed based on national and international approved guidelines and standards; planning of laboratory activities to improve tests performance and decrease turnaround time.
- To coordinate regular equipment maintenance at all THPS supported sites in collaboration with the laboratory team.
- To provide leadership in execution of national level laboratory support activities
- To provide technical assistance in specific techniques like: PCR for HIV viral load and early infant diagnosis (EID), CD4 count, HIV Rapid Tests, HIV Genotyping, drug resistance and mutation, hematologic, clinical chemistry and microbiology tests.
- To provide technical assistance to the MoHCDGEC in evaluation and validation new technologies related to the medical laboratories.
- To represent THPS on laboratory related issues at donors and MoHCDGEC technical meetings as well as work closely with both the donors and the MoHCDGEC in harmonizing laboratory services.
- Carry out other laboratory related activities as assigned by her/his supervisor(s).
Qualifications, Experience Skills required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent, Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- Registration certificate issued by the Biomedical Laboratory Association of Tanzania.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a medical diagnostic laboratory setting that included HIV and TB testing services
- Demonstrated experience and understanding the systems of MoHCDGEC in Tanzania.
- Demonstrated knowledge and successful experience of procurement procedures and equipment/supply/stock tracking and inventory
- Knowledge in Laboratory Quality Assurance, and strong experience of instituting good laboratory practice
- Expearience with laboratory automated platforms in particular: GeneXpert; Haematology, HIV viral load and CD4.
- Experience with laboratory information systems is an important advantage
- Operational research experience is an advantage;
- Supervisory, training, management and monitoring skills of other laboratory staff
- Extensive experience in the general management of a laboratory
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
Behavioral competencies and skills:
- Good interpersonal communication
- Ability to work as part of THPS team and independently
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
How to apply:
Interested applicants should apply through THPS website(www.thps.or.tz) using vacancy link located under career opportunities, attaching their application cover letter one page maximum and CV four pages maximum by October 16th 2016 with a subject line for example: Senior Technical Advisor - Laboratory Services. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
THPS is an equal opportunity employer; women and people living with HIV/AIDS & Diaspora candidates are encouraged to apply.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.