Present in Tanzania since 1993, IRC supports the Tanzania institutions – government, civil society, community-based organizations and private sector – to provide improved social services, decrease youth unemployment and mitigate gender based violence. IRC do this through programs and partnerships designed to improve the life of women, youth and children by implementing, Education, Youth, Community Based Rehabilitation and Gender Based Violence programming. IRC has a Country Program office in Dar es Salaam, a Field Office in Kigoma, a Field Kasulu, a Field Kibondo in Kigoma region and Tanga.
Reporting to:Civil Engineer
Location: Kasulu Office, Tanzania
Scope of work:
Construction Engineer is the responsible technical focal person for all construction activities for IRC at all locations and works closely with IRC Civil Engineer in implementing all construction related activities in Kigoma and Kasulu region, Kigoma office and other location in IRC Tanzania. The construction unit will focus on, construction and rehabilitation of community facilities in refugee and local institutions. In undertaking the above role, the Construction Engineer will establish a strong coordination in collaboration with relevant IRC contracted suppliers (that include contractors and general material suppliers), other implementing agencies and stake holders for smooth operation at field level. The Construction Engineer is responsible for designing and building infrastructure relating to schools, health posts, CBR, Women centers, CFS’s, water and sanitation in the both the Burundian and Congolese populations in Nyarugusu, and any other refugee camps as well as in all entry points where IRC will deploy its humanitarian services. Also, the Construction Engineer will provide support other construction and repair activities in all IRC staff compounds and offices.
- Responsible for construction of IRC projects and infrastructure and ensure that the works are done within safety regulations, taking into consideration the local environment, government regulations and user friendly structures to different categories of users including people with disability
- Responsible for architectural designs and drawings of buildings and other structures, as recommended by program sector need, and after survey of the site assigned to IRC. In collaboration with Civil Engineer to ensure BOQs get donor review and approval prior to implementation where such need applies.
- Prepare relevant documents required for supporting RFP related to construction/rehabilitation works
- Identify materials needed for construction jobs; advice specifications of construction tools and review construction BOQs/quotes for fair price.
- Fully participate in tender opening for all construction works. Assist the Supply Chain on preparation, and implementation of construction contracts. Support all aspects of technical design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the construction activities
- Overall responsibility for the management of construction activities while providing technical expertise to contractors by supervising actual construction process
- Monitoring the quality of construction supplies delivered at sites by contractors, ensuring jobs are done to standards and are completed as per construction schedule and meet donor and IRC standards
- Support the Civil Engineer in monitoring works at site stage by stage and jobs certification at different levels as per contract, ensuring that work is completed as per BOQ and related structural drawings. Calculate down payments where payments are made at each stage of construction where applicable.
- Keep updated construction related files in a centrally located position, proper filing for easy retrieval of information to designated staff and for auditing purposes.
- Provide all necessary technical expertise to site team in construction related activities and where appropriate, to other IRC programs as to be assigned and as per need.
- Proven experience with an NGO work and proven practical experience construction project implementation, including engineering activities and monitoring projects.
- Comfortable to work in a remote environment
- Ability to work with people of all mediums-Construction servants, parents, NGOs
- Ability to work and adapt under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate (word processors, excel, and other drawings/designing packages etc)
A graduate in bachelor's degree in Construction engineering from a recognized institution or similar field (Construction & Structural Engineering). Or
Form VI certificate with FTC or Diploma in Construction Engineering plus three years experience on the relevant field.
How to apply:
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements.
- Detailed curriculum vitae showing contact address, email, and day-time mobile phone number(s) and three (3) referees, ONE being your last employer.
- ONLY copies of academic and professional certificates.
Applications will be considered valid if sent/received before 1700hrs Friday, October 21st 2016. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Send your application to: Bonnie.Agae@rescue.org
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. IRC is an equal opportunity employer.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.