Thursday, 10 November 2016
Job at British High Commission, Consular Assistant
Section : Consular
Grade : A2 (L)
Position Type : Permanent (17.5 hours a week)
Salary : TZS. 953,994 Gross and TZS. 95 399 + TZS. 9 539 (Social security and Workers Compensation Fund) per month
A vacancy has arisen at the British High commission for an A2 (L) Consular Assistant to join the Consular Team.
Main Purpose of the job:
To provide a high quality and efficient consular service to British nationals in Tanzania in line with the standards set out in our publication "Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide
Role and Responsibilities:
As consular assistant you will be responsible for playing a key role in a small team providing consular assistance in Tanzania. You will also work closely with colleagues across the Sub-Saharan Africa network and in the UK in order to ensure excellent delivery and consistency of services.
• Providing advice and consular assistance, often to the most vulnerable British nationals in Tanzania. This may include: visiting people who have been arrested, are in prison or hospitalised; supporting bereaved families and victims of crime, victims of sexual assault and dealing with cases involving child abduction. The candidate must be able and willing to engage on these difficult issues
• Assisting applications for Emergency Travel Documents
• Liaising with partners including local authorities, British companies, the tourism industry, airlines, wardens, consular correspondents, NGOs, other diplomatic missions etc.
• Participating in outreach activities
• Contributing to crisis planning and response in Tanzania
• Managing information, completing returns and other administrative tasks
• The successful candidate must be prepared to work out of hours if required, and to cover to cover colleagues’ absences (see below on time of in lieu/overtime)
Essential qualifications and experience:
For many British nationals, the only contact they will ever have with a British mission will be through our consular services, often in times of great personal distress. As a customer-facing member of staff, you will need to have excellent communication skills and be able to deal with distressing situations in a sensitive manner and with empathy.
You must demonstrate the following key skills and attributes:
• Excellent all-round communication skills to manage customer expectations and deliver difficult messages;
• Excellent customer service skills; ability to respond to a range of customer needs and cultivate strong relationships with customers and stakeholders.
• Calmness under pressure;
• Ability to research and follow guidelines, and to plan and prioritise effectively;
• Ability to work well with others - to build and maintain relationships with customers and stakeholders;
• Strong problem solving skills using own judgement;
• Ability to respond quickly to changing priorities, sometimes in pressurised environments;
• Must be prepared to react positively to change and ready to try new ways of working
• Excellent IT Skills (a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook is essential);
• Numeracy skills
• Level of language required: fluent (if non-native English speaker then IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent).
Desirable qualifications and experience:
• Knowledge of Swahili is beneficial but not essential
• An understanding of the way of life in the UK and familiarity with the operating environment in Tanzania
• Making Effective Decisions
• Leading and Communicating
• Collaborating and Partnering
• Managing a Quality Service
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
This is a part time role (Mon – Wed 0900 - 1315; Thurs 0900 - 1345). The nature of consular work means that out of hours emergencies can occur. TOIL (time off in lieu) or overtime is paid subject to prior agreement by management and the FCO in London.
The jobholder will be part of a busy consular team in a challenging but rewarding front-facing role. They will help customers through some of the most difficult experiences of their lives.
• All applicants must be legally able to work in Tanzania with the correct visa/status or work permit.
• Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Dar es Salaam are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Tanzania’s employment law.
• Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the BHC/BCG but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
• Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
• If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
• Note: Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
• Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held the week of 28 November 2016 during which written and spoken English will be tested.
Please click HERE TO APPLY and click on search jobs. The closing date is 15 November 2016 and no further applications will be accepted after this date.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.