Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Program
Job Announcement: Systems Strengthening Advisor
Location: Dar es Salaam
The Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Program (CHSSP) is a five-year PEPFAR/USAID-funded cooperative agreement led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. with partners Initiatives Inc. and World Education, Inc./Batwana. The program is being implemented in 42 districts located on the Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar. CHSSP aims to contribute to PEPFAR 3.0 goal of achieving HIV epidemic control by 2020. Specifically, the project supports the systems strengthening priorities of the Government of Tanzania (GOT) with a focus on improving health, wellbeing, and protection outcomes for adolescent girls and young women (AGYW), most vulnerable children (MVC), people living with HIV/AIDS (PLHIV), as well as key populations including men who have sex with men (MSM), female sex workers (FSW), and people who inject drugs (PWID).
Within CHSSP, Initiatives Inc. is the technical lead on systems strengthening responsible for improving relevant structures and systems in the public and private sectors underpinning provision of health and social welfare services, and especially the continuum of HIV care for priority and key populations.
The System Strengthening Advisor is responsible for leading the project’s technical support to align all CHSSP systems strengthening efforts with PEPFAR 3.0 and the relevant GOT’s national policies and guidelines. S/he will focus on improving the structures and systems to disseminate and support these polices and guidelines within the public sector and among relevant selected CSOs. The Systems Strengthening Advisor reports to the CHSSP Technical Director and provides technical guidance for the Regional Public System Strengthening Coordinator and the Regional CSO System Strengthening Coordinator.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the guidance of the Technical Director, coordinate closely with the Technical Team to ensure an integrated approach to implementation.
- Guide and support the Regional Office Coordinators responsible for system strengthening activities to implement relevant activities defined in annual workplans.
- Keep up to date with all developments in the Government and TACAIDS related to systems strengthening priorities that affect the mandate of CHSSP.Lead the technical design and implementation of the project’s health sector strengthening interventions from the national, district, and community level with relevant government institutions as well as private, for profit entities, local NGOs, civil society organizations (CSO), community based organizations (CBO) and faith based organizations (FBO) through CHSSP’s cascade approach.
- Coordinate with Regional Directors to provide timely and effective technical support to the CHSSP Regional Offices to:
- Oversee technical support for increasing CSO engagement, advocacy and coordination; conduct organizational capacity assessments and provide technical support for CSO capacity development.
- Ensure dissemination and orientation of relevant national policies and guidelines at district, ward, and village levels through CHSSP’s cascade approach.
- Engage relevant government district/ward/village structures through CHSSP’s cascade approach to implement current guidelines for planning, budgeting, and evaluation of health and social welfare services with a focus on increasing participation of CSOs representing priority and key populations.
- Conduct orientation of CSOs to government planning processes to ensure they are able to meaningfully contribute to local government planning and budgeting processes
- Support CSOs to identify and advocate for needed services for priority and key populations and improve service coordination and quality.
- Assist relevant selected CSOs to strengthen management systems such as planning and M&E and build resource mobilization capacity.
- Coordinate with CHSSP’s Gender Advisor to ensure that gender concerns are addressed in the systems strengthening work of CHSSP
- Guide the development of probation period plans and annual performance reviews and appraisals for Regional Public System Strengthening Coordinators
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with relevant government stakeholders in ministries and national institutes.
- Ensure timely and qualitative contributions to the Technical Team for all necessary reports including quarterly, semi, and annual reports.
Required* and Desired Qualifications
- A Master’s Degree or higher in business or public administration, social work, public health, international development, or an equivalent field*
- A minimum of 10 years of successful experience as senior-level technical advisor/expert in health projects of equivalent size and complexity, funded by USAID – and especially PEPFAR – or by other international donors is required*
- Demonstrated experience working with Tanzanian government structures at national and decentralized levels on planning and community engagement for health and social welfare services resource allocation*
- Demonstrated experience working with Tanzanian NGO and CBO organizations to build managerial and programmatic capacity*
- In-depth knowledge of health and social welfare services policy framework and program implementation in Tanzania
- Have highly developed professional conduct and ability to build strong partnerships with relevant national, regional and district leaders and represent the program among other government and donor stake holders
- Proven ability to provide leadership to relevant national task forces and technical working groups
- Proven ability to provide high level technical guidance to multi-disciplinary program implementation teams
- Proven ability to work effectively both individually and as a team member
- Demonstrated skills in spoken and written English at ILR Level 4 or the equivalent
- Demonstrated experience producing high quality English-language communication products such as progress reports, case studies, and research protocols
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other common software
- Ability to travel 30% of the time within Tanzania
- Tanzanian national preferred
Please submit your cover letter, CV, and three references to the below email address referencing “PSSC” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted no later than November 18, 2016
Email Address: InitiativesInc.Tanzania@gmail.com
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted.
Warning: Any Job Vacancy Requesting Payment For Any Reason is a Scam.