VACANCY PROGRAMME MANAGER
Who we are
Tanzania Development Lightening Initiative (TDLI) is a non-governmental and non-profit making
organization. TDLI is registered under the Non Governmental Act No.24 of 2002 with a national
wide operating licence.
TDLI has a Vision: a society with people centred development, equality and justice.
Today, most marginalized communities in Tanzania live in extreme poverty where women, children
and people with disability are victims of inequality and injustice of different forms. We believe this is
unacceptable. Our Strategy explains what TDLI will be doing to contribute to addressing those
wrongs, complementing efforts by the government and other development players towards a
sustainable and just society without poverty.
TDLI is strategically formed to address challenges in four interrelated programmatic areas -
Livelihoods, human rights, extractive industry and education at national and international levels. In
this regard, TDLI has three (3) major approaches, namely Rights Based Approach, Digital
Programming and Sustainability School.
Contract type: Fixed Term, 1 year contract.
Reporting to: Executive Director
Staff reporting to this post: Programme Officers
Job type: Full time
Location: Lake Zone Programme Office located in Sengerema, Mwanza
Application deadline: 25th January 2017
The Programme Manager will be responsible for the development, design and
management/monitoring of TDLI programmes and for ensuring the projects respond to current
development trends related in Tanzania. The Programme Manager will have a direct line report to
the Executive Director (ED). S/he leads the organization’s programme portfolio consisting of
education, extractive industry, livelihoods, and human rights.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Strategic management and leadership
• Under the leadership of the ED, leads programme strategy development
• To provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning,
budgeting, and implementation of the TDLI Strategic Plan 2017 - 2020
• Deputise for the Executive Director as required
• Develop and facilitate links with civil society, the private sector, academic /knowledge
institutions and governments, initiating contacts and building associations that can be used
to enhance TDLI’s work, and identifying key partners to collaborate with on the delivery of
2. Program development and delivery
• Ensures the delivery of Programme activities with demonstrable impact and is accountable
for ensuring that the programme meets overall program quality and learning standards.
• Manages and is accountable for programme budget including responding to high-level
management and variance reports.
• Working with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
Officer/Advisor to develop, implement and embed, a knowledge management system that
will ensure documentation of TDLI work and sharing of knowledge across the programme,
other Programme Offices.
• Leads the development of programme reporting – facilitating programme Officers and other
team members contributions to reporting, consolidating programme reports and providing
high level analysis of programme impact
• Directs and coordinates external program engagement
3. Alliance building and networking
• Working closely with the ED, identify locally available and external opportunities for funding
to ensure the financial sustainability of TDLI programme in Tanzania.
• Oversee the portfolio for partner organisations and alliances and, building and maintaining
4. People development and management
• Ensures that team members have access to available staff development opportunities,
identifies and addresses capacity gaps and provides ongoing counselling and support team
• Manage and support the Programme staff to deliver on the TDLI Strategic Plan, providing
leadership, inspiration and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in
line with TDLI’s Human Resources policy and procedures.
• With support from Human Resources Officer, manages the life cycle of individuals within
the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, and
working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters among others.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
• Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences field or equivalent qualification from a recognized
• A minimum of three (3) years post qualification experience in programme/project
• Funds management, fundraising proposal development and reports writing.
• Sound experience in all aspects of project management cycle (design, implementation,
monitoring and evaluation).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Applications.
• Very good communication skills (speaking, report writing and presenting in English).
• Computer literacy.
• Proven analytical and conceptual thinking, basic research, project management knowledge
and skills and experience using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment,
programme identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
• Knowledge of, and experience in working with donors.
• Experience in working with NGOs
• Language, Kiswahili comprehension.
• Experience or knowledge of Tanzania dynamics.
• Job satisfaction: have an impact and make a difference to people’s lives especially women,
children and people with disability.
• Competitive salaries (When funding is secured)
• A dynamic, professional working environment
• A flexible work policy
Terms and Conditions
This is a Volunteer position with minimum monthly subsistence allowance. A salaried contract will
be provided subject to availability of funds.
How to Apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above positions, send your application and
detailed curriculum vitae, and names and contact details of two referees to email@example.com